One of the goals we pursue in the Spanish and Portuguese Department is to help the students develop their skills and abilities in the target language outside of the classroom through different activities, such as:
- Tertulias: Being part of a conversation group ("Tertulia") is a wonderful way to practice your Spanish. Is a cultural get-togethers where faculty and students from Spanish and Portuguese department and students from other departments sharing an interest in Spanish and Hispanic culture, listen to and speak in Spanish in a informal setting. Students of all levels of proficiency in Spanish (Spanish 100 levels) attend the Tertulias. Organized by faculty.
- Friday, November 16th, 4pm-5pm, Kresge 2-301
- Friday, January 25th, 4pm - 5pm
- Monday, February 18th, 4pm - 5pm
- Monday, April 8th, 4pm - 5pm
- Friday, May 3rd, 4pm - 5pm
- Coloquios: Conversation get-togethers for students and the 200 and 300 levels. Organized by faculty.
- Film series: This activity brings together students of all levels to share in a common interest: film. This project provides intellectual and artistic opportunities for oral comprehension and language acquisition while exposing students to a variety of speech patterns. Students will also become more cross culturally literate.