When seeking departmental credit upon their return, students must submit to one of the major or minor faculty advisers the following documents for evaluation:
- Official transcript from Study Abroad Program
- Study Abroad Program catalog course descriptions
- Courses's syllabi, papers and/or exams
- Current NU transcript
- Spanish and Portuguese department's Petition for Major or Minor Credit for Courses Taken Abroad
- Weinberg students: Weinberg Petition for Abroad Credit
A year-long program is preferable to a one-quarter or summer program, but the department accepts credit from courses taken abroad for any length of time as long as they meet the following criteria:
- The department will accept up to four credits towards departmental minor requirements and up to seven credits towards departmental major requirements, but in no case more than four credits per single quarter/semester abroad.
- Credit for Study Abroad courses is determined by their content, and not only by language or place in which the course was taught, therefore course content must be similar to content of courses offered by the department. ie Spanish language, Spanish and Latin American literature, and Spanish and Latin American culture and civilization.
- All courses abroad must meet for a minimum of 30 class hours in any given subject. The department has the final decision regarding which and how many study abroad credits fulfill requirements for major and minor.
- The department will accept for credit only courses taken at a foreign host University for the complete length of the course (i.e., Europe: first "cuatrimestre" from October to January; second "cuatrimestre" from February to June.)
- Foreign transcripts must specify individual courses and grades.
- Regardless of content, one course taken completely in Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country may be credited as Spanish 20x, as long as no credit is sought for it in another NU department.